Seal and Expunge
If you have questions about the seal and expunge process, the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) has many valuable resources about this process to help you. Information can be found at the Florida Department of Law Enforcement’s Sealing and Expunge website or by calling 850.410.7870. It includes instruction for applying for a Certificate of Eligibility.
The subject of a criminal history record sealed under this section or under other provisions of law, including former s.893.14, former s.901.33, and former s.943.058, may lawfully deny or fail to acknowledge the arrests covered by the sealed record, except when the subject of the record:
- Is a candidate for employment with a criminal justice agency;
- Is a defendant in a criminal prosecution;
- Concurrently or subsequently petitions for relief under s.943.0585 or s.943.059;
- Is a candidate for admission to The Florida Bar;
- Is seeking to be employed or licensed by or to contract with the Department of Children and Family Services, the Division of Vocational Rehabilitation within the Department of Education, the Agency for Health Care Administration, the Agency for Persons with Disabilities, the Department of Health, the Department of Elderly Affairs, or the Department of Juvenile Justice or to be employed or used by such contractor or licensee in a sensitive position having direct contact with children, the disabled, or the elderly;
- Is seeking to be employed or licensed by the Department of Education, any district school board, any university laboratory school, any charter school, any private or parochial school, or any local governmental entity that licenses child care facilities; or
- Is attempting to purchase a firearm from a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer and is the subject to a criminal history background check under state or federal law.
Our legal system is an adversarial process. You may need to seek assistance of counsel to help you in the process. Unfortunately, the State Attorney is not allowed to assist you during the seal and expunge process.